Monday, May 28, 2012

Memory Madness Monday


I was once told of a woman who, as she aged, had lost her eye sight and also her hearing. It was impossible for her to read and near impossible to hear those around her speaking.  On her 90th birthday she was asked what her greatest regret was,  her response was, "That I didn't memorize more scripture, because now I can't read scripture and it is so hard to hear it read to me." Obviously this woman had a heart for God, and was hearing from Him in other ways, but I was convicted when I heard this story to learn more scripture. To "hide God's word in my Heart" so that no matter what situations or ailments come my way, God's word will always be within! 


I recently went through a Bible Study called ONE ON ONE WITH GOD by Jerry and Marilyn Fine. It is a wonderful tool that really helped me to understand my purpose as a daughter of the God Most High; and  also how to practice and live out that purpose. 

Philippians 3:10 AMP
10 [For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [[a]which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]





One of the tools taught through One on One with God is scripture memorization.
Here are a few tips on scriture meemorization, Jerry and Marilyn share in the book.

1. Read the context of the verse in your Bible. This helps you understand the verse in it's proper setting.
2. Read the verse through several times, thoughtfully and aloud.
3. Write the verse out on an index card. Some people find it helpful to write the verse out several times.
4. Meditate on the verse - Ponder the verse, Picture the verse, and the Pray the verse back to God.
5. Break the passage into natural phrases. Learn the reference and first phrase, then the reference first and second phase, and so on until the entire phrase is memorized.
6. Review the verse immediatley after you have initially memorized it by quoting reference, verse, reference 30 times.
7. Share the verse with others - use it or lose it.
8 Review Review Review! Review the verse everyday for the next two month!

Honestly, the thought of scripture memorization is so overwhelming to me. It doesn't come easy to me, which also means that I have to be so dilligent about making myself study and work on it daily.  I do believe it to be a proven tool in growing a closer relationship with the Lord. So,  I will persevere and we will see what the boys and I can accomplish over the next 8 weeks.  The scriptures I have chosen will have a short activity or reward that will hopefully help the verse come to life and encourage the kids to work on it too! Each week I will post the verse we will be working on that week, along with the activity and/or prize for the week.  Please feel free to join us starting next Monday, June 4th!   Learn the scriptures we learn, or share some of your own.  I'm still looking for a few more to finish out the end of summer ... just saying, suggestions welcome!  What are some of your favorite scriptures?


Image Credit:

Horia Varlan

No comments:

Post a Comment